- What type of academic calendar does UMT follow?
There are two main semesters: Fall and Spring.
- Is there any difference b/w morning and evening academic systems?
- What is the difference b/w Module & Semester?
The duration of the Module system is two months and the students have to complete two courses in one module. The duration of Semester systems is 4 months and the students have to complete five or six courses in one semester.
- Why does UMT follow a semester-based academic calendar?
Semester, trimester or quarter-based academic calendars are generally followed by universities all over the world. We have adopted a semester-based approach as we believe that it is the best for our students. HEC and Government of the Punjab recommend the same academic system and many of the top universities of the world follow this approach as well.
- Do UMT graduates gain admission in public and private universities, here and abroad, for higher studies?
Our degree is recognized by the HEC and our graduates are currently enrolled in private (e.g. LUMS) and public-sector (e.g. PU) universities in Pakistan, Malaysia, South Korea, UK, USA, Canada and many other countries.
- What is meant by “Offer of Admission on a Provisional-Basis”?
A number of students who apply for admission on result awaited basis are offered admission on the basis of their previous academic record, admission test, and/or interview. Such offers are, however, provisional, subject to meeting the minimum admission requirements. Students admitted on a provisional-basis are required to submit their final results as soon as they are announced, failing which their offers of admission stand withdrawn.
- What happens to the registration status of a result-awaiting student who fails and is required to appear in the supplementary examination?
Result-awaiting students are admitted on a provisional-basis only. In case, they fail to achieve the required marks when their results are declared, their registration is frozen immediately. They are not allowed to continue in that semester, but the fees that they have paid for that semester may be transferred to the next one in case they obtain the required marks in the supplementary examination.
- Does UMT have affiliated campuses anywhere in Pakistan or abroad?
Yes. UMT have its campus in Sialkot city.
- Can ICS students gain admission in the BS Computer Science, BS Computer Engineering, BS Telecommunication Engineering?
Yes, those having studied a combination of Physics, Mathematics and Computer Studies or Computer Science are eligible for admission in the above mentioned programs. They will, however, be required to take an additional credit-hour course.
- Can holders of DAE obtain admission in the BS Engineering programs?
A candidate who has passed Diploma of Associate Engineer (DAE) examination, securing at least 60% aggregate marks both in DAE and Matric, shall be eligible for admission against seats in the same discipline of engineering in which he or she has passed the Diploma examination.
- What is the accreditation status of the BS in Engineering programs being offered at UMT?
The BS Electrical Engineering (Two Specializations: Telecom and Electronic) program being offered by UMT has been approved by the Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC). It is worth mentioning that PEC is the premier institution and accrediting body that regulates the engineering profession in the country and maintains realistic internationally relevant standards of professional competence and ethics for engineers. The untiring efforts of the team of the School of Science and Technology (SST) and the UMT management in getting accreditation from the PEC are commendable.
- What is the status of UMT's science and engineering labs?
We currently offer lab-based courses in Chemistry, Physics, Electronics, Digital Logic, Microprocessors, Computer Networks, Software Usability, and Electric Machines lab, Textile Wet Processing, Knitting and Weaving. More laboratories (e.g. Textile labs) have been planned and will go into operation in the very near future. Most courses require students to do computer-based work. UMT's computer network consists of more than 1300 nodes with a band-width of 10 MB. Wireless connectivity is also available.
- What activities does UMT organize to ensure that her graduates find appropriate employment?
At UMT, we have a dedicated office OCS to look after student placement and career services. Students are not only trained to exhibit their full potential, they are also provided with an array of services for facilitating their career planning and job placement. These services range from career seminars to mock interviews to internships to job fairs. These services remain available to the students even after they have graduated. UMT offers skill-development workshops and knowledge enhancing seminars to the alumni as well.
- When did UMT receive her degree-granting charter?
UMT received its charter, first as the Institute of Management and Technology in 2002 through an Act of the Assembly of the Punjab. Later, on 16 June 2004, it became University of Management and Technology through the passing of a similar Act.
- Where does UMT stand in comparison with other local and national universities?
UMT has been awarded “W4” Category by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. It has also awarded as one of the best university within medium size universities and proud to announce its shift from medium size to large size university.
- Why all UMT courses carry 3 credit-hours while some of the other universities have courses of 4-5 credit-hours and term duration of less than 17 weeks?
One-credit hour stands for 15 contact-hours for a lecture course or 45 contact-hours for a laboratory course. The total duration of a semester is 17 weeks and a summer session is of 9 weeks. Government of the Punjab and HEC has adopted similar definitions for a semester credit-hour as well. As far as the credit-hours for individual courses are concerned, they vary even within UMT. Although most of them carry 3 credit-hours, those with 1, 2 and 6 credit hours also exist. Same is true for many other universities.
- Why is the duration of the MS program two years?
The MS programs have been designed according to the guidelines provided by the HEC. Out of those two years, a full-time student generally spends most of his/her first year taking courses, and a major part of the second year on MS thesis.
- What is the accreditation status of the MS/PhD in Engineering programs being offered at UMT?
PEC currently does not accredit MS/PhD Engineering programs. Therefore, none of the MS/PhD programs offered by Pakistani institutions (including those by UET, NUST, etc.) have been accredited by PEC.
- Does UMT accept transfer-students from other universities?
Please visit the following link : http://umt.edu.pk/offices/registrar/creditTransfer.html
- Do international universities accept transfer of credit from UMT?
Overseas universities generally accept credits from all Pakistani universities that are recognized by the HEC. The list of all HEC-recognized universities is available on HEC website.